The National Safety Council recently reported that motor vehicle deaths rose by 9% in the first 6 months of 2016 over 2015, and 18% over the same period in 2014. After years of downward trending, deaths have been on a steep curve upwards. According to the CEO of the National Safety Council, “our complacency is killing us.” Americans should be outraged at the high number of preventable deaths. In an effort to curb the increase, the NSC has recommended the following:
- Every passenger should use a safety belt
- Designate a drug or alcohol free driver
- Get plenty of sleep and take breaks to avoid fatigued driving
- NEVER use a cell phone behind the wheel, not even hands free
- Stay engaged with your teens and their driving habits; they are 3 times as likely as an experienced driver to be in a crash
- Learn all of your vehicle’s safety systems
Here in the Fox Valley, there are many law enforcement sponsored safety events. Take advantage of them. On Thursday June 15, 2017, the Village of Fox Crossing, Wisconsin is holding their Summer Safety Night. They have 300 bike helmets to give away, several hundred Home Depot building kits, and more. The event will be held at the Police Department, and it is a great time to learn more about keeping you and your family safe, and obtaining free safety items. Thanks to Fox Crossing Police.